Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Well, Here Goes.. Season One (Episodes 1-3)

Alright, time to start watching all the 12 seasons of South Park. We're obviously starting from the very beginning, season one. There's no hurry since the 13th season will not be premiering until march, but I'm just so bad South Park Junkie that I'm probably take an overdose right from the beginning. I'll be giving each episode a review and then rating on scale 1-10. 1 being "Well, it's South Park so it can't be that bad" and 10.. well, *insert insanely positive adjective here*. I'll be giving most episodes probably low rating, but it doesn't mean that the episodes were that bad, I'll just be using this kind of shit scale. I aim that 5 would be average, but well see where it is when this is over.

Season One

Episode 1: Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Well, there it is. It's crude and simple-looking, well it is nowadays too, but still it's tecnically so bad that I dare to say that South Park has come a long way since this episode - but there is all the basics. Things that are repeated through the series. Kyle and Cartman getting on each other, Kenny dying, Stan puking on Wendy etc. It has really gotten old after already watching the whole series once, but I'll not be too harsh on it, since after all this is the first episode and all these jokes were new when it first aired. There's really not too much to say. Plot involves Kyle's little brother Ike's abduction by aliens, whom had put an anal probe in the Cartman. It could just have been anything. It's pretty hollow setting, but it's still fair episode I'd say. Maybe the best bits were Mrs. Crabtree's shouting (I mean, she looks hysterical) and Stan expression when he sees Wendy. And speaking of expressions, Cartman's scared face when Chef talks about aliens are another thing worthy of mentioning. And oh yeah, the "I Love to Singa" -part is so random that it's good stuff also - haven't seen it too much in newer episodes. But anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say about first episode. As for rating, I'll give it.. 3/10

Episode 2: Weight Gain 4000
Well, now we're getting on with this. Firstly, Chef is just awesome in this episode. Cartman also gets the show really going in this episode. He wins some essay competition and starts to form rivalry with Wendy, a rivalry which we'll see few more times in different forms in future episodes. Cartman has obviously cheated and in the end Wendy proves that only to see that nobody give's a shit. Cartman's classic "Mooom" line is heard for the first time. Cartman is the main catalyst for jokes in this episode, especially when he's making remarks about dolphins and ripping on Wendy on being jealous. Cartman's ass also grows to epic proportions with Weight Gain 4000 while he "gets on shape". The ending line closes a pretty good episode of South Park fittingly; "Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof... beefcake, BEEFCAKE!". After all that praising, you'd think that rating would be good, but I'll give it a 4/10, just to give some perspective of the scale. It's better than the first one, but there's definitely many more memorable episodes.

Revision: Well, this is the second review, so I obviously had no idea, where the ratings would fall overall. In comparison to other episodes, this episode definitely deserves 5/10.

Episode 3: Volcano
Well, I guess I'm not feeling all that creative tonight, since this episode sparked little thought in me. Jokes are not that effective and the plot is pretty boring. But of course there's some positives always. Chef gets to sing at the end (Chef singing is always positive) and Kenny killing animals and drinking gas is quite amusing. Cartman saying that he has flashbacks from 'Nam was also good one. But yeah not the most thought-provoking episode, although I guess there's supposed to be something about killing animals in the backround. Indeed Ned says that he doesn't ever want to touch a gun again near the end (and accidentally kills Kenny). I rate this episode 2/10, since there are worse episodes out there yet to come.

That's it for tonight, as you can see I wasn't all that productive tonight. But I have to say that there is really not much to say in these early episodes. Let's see if I can write something more meaningful tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment